Tuesday 11 November 2014

Winter Special: Skin Care

Welcome to That Weird Girl Next Door


Hello my lovelies! Well winter is finally hitting (or is it only me), and I already have dry and itchy skin (yes, I do take regular showers). Nothing is irritating than the stretchy winter skin that might even start chipping if you do not take good care of it. In winters, the temperature drops (stating the obvious) and so the humidity in the air also drops causing moisture to evaporate more quickly (just re-read, this makes me feel wise). This often leads to chapped skin, making it crack or even bleed. It had been bothering me for a while and got me thinking that I cannot be the only one, therefore, this post.
These are all home remedies so it wouldn't be heavy on your pocket (or your face) and would save you from the hassle of going to the salon. To be very honest, you can do all the things by your own self, be it treating your face, your hands or your feet. Enough of rambling, I 'll cut this now. So...let's start!
photo: s3.thehealthsite.com
  • Banana Paste
This again is what I learned from my mum (she is such an inventor!) All you have to do is mesh 1 banana (if your skin type is dry in general, add honey to it. Not advisable for oily skin) and apply it all over your face and neck. Leave it for fifteen minutes or until it dries on your skin. And voila! you now have softer and smoother skin. Also, if you were too hungry and ate the banana, I have another thing for you. The banana peel is a wonderful source of antioxidant and vitamins, so you can directly rub this on your skin.

photo: www.peta.org/
  • The Oil Treatment
When I was younger I use to whine when father would sit to oil my hair every Sunday (now I literally have to beg him to). Coconut oil has a germicidal and antimicrobial property. It nourishes hair roots and also imparts hardness and lathering property to soaps. It works best when you warm it and massage it on your scalp or on your body. It provides shine to the hair, making it glossy. When it comes to body massage, coconut oil has a cooling property which relaxes your body. It illuminates your skin, making it supple and ready to face the harsh winters. Massage this on your skin before taking shower and your skin will still retain the moisture since it has water absorbing property. Woot Woot!
  • Moisturize Your Skin!

photo: hairextensions-usa.com
The skin needs moisturization and for that you do not need any fancy brands or splash your money on something that would not last much. Also, try to avoid using lotions in this season reason being that they are very light and evaporate quickly; they are great for summer though. I always use Vaseline since it works best and has a subtle scent. Before you go to bed, do not forget to moisturize your body. Since your body heals during the time you sleep (this way I should have world's best skin because I literally hibernate), moisturizers help in restoring your skin and the heal the chipping.
Common Tips:
  • Use those soaps only which are rich in glycerin, honey and other moisturizing agent.
  • Keep a travel size moisturizer in your bag so you can use it after you wash your hand and whenever your skin feels dry
  • Take shower with lukewarm water as it heals your skin. Do not use streaming hot water because that would only dry your skin more
  • You can massage your face with almond oil. It is good for skin and makes healthy and plump
  • Drink a lot of water
  • Keep your diet staple and include a lot of fruits. Try to avoid street food.
  • I know this is the season of Chai (tea) and coffee, but do not over drink. These drinks contain caffeine and other plant chemicals which are not good for your system.
Well, this is all for today. I hope this was useful and helps you fighting winter.

Cheers xx
-a

No comments:

Post a Comment